Lenten Reflection: What Do You Need to Change?
Ash Wednesday signifies the beginning of an important time in many Christians’ lives: Lent. This 40-day period of reflection and self-sacrifice helps remind us of what is truly important in life.
What is Lent and why do we celebrate it?
The Lenten season is a time of fasting and preparation for Easter. It is a time to reflect on Jesus’s sacrifice and to prepare our hearts for Easter. Lent begins on Ash Wednesday and lasts for 40 days.
What do I need to change during Lent?
There are many things to do in the Lenten season to prepare for Easter.
• Pray more often. The best way to grow closer to God is by spending time with Him in prayer. Try to pray every day, even if it's just for a few minutes.
• Give up something that you enjoy, like candy, chips, alcohol or binging TV shows.
• Stop listening to music in the car or during your free time. Instead, use this time to reflect on your life and your relationship with God.
• Perform acts of service. Doing good deeds for others is a great way to show God your love for Him. You can try going to a feeding drive or a village clean-up.
• Clean out your home. Take a look at the things you have at home and find items you no longer use. Things like clothes, furniture, and even old gadgets can be donated to those who need it more than you do.
• Live a less materialistic life. Instead of shopping frequently or dining out, put the money towards something that is more worthwhile for you and your family, such as family insurance.
• Get involved in your community. There are many ways to get involved in your community, such as serving on a committee, helping out with special events, or organizing a new event to help the less fortunate.
• Make a commitment to be a better person. This is perhaps the most important thing you can do during Lent. It's a time to reflect on your current behaviors and attitudes and how they impact the people around you.
• Stop gossiping. If you hear someone say something negative about another person, either remind them to refrain from talking ill about other people or you can choose to say nothing at all. What’s important is that you end the cycle of gossip.
Whatever you choose to do, make sure it is something that will help you grow closer to Jesus Christ. He is the reason for the season! Focus on our own spiritual journey and use this time to grow closer to God.
May God bless you during the Lenten season!
What Kind of Protection Do You Need?
InLife is committed to protecting you at every stage of your life. Find out how we can help you meet your needs.